100 gram (1 cup) rolled oats
60 gram (½ cup) sesame seeds
60 gram (½ cup) pepitas
60 gram (½ cup) sunflower seeds
1 tablespoon of chia seeds
60 grams (1 cup) desiccated or shredded coconut
1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
125 grams of butter ½ cup of raw honey or brown rice syrup
Optional Dried fruit or cacao nibs
1. In a small pot, combine the butter and sweetener over a low heat, stirring until combined (a few minutes).
2. You have a couple of options here. For a tastier slice, throw the dried ingredients into a large pan and toast over a low heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring often (the coconut will colour and the pepitas will start to pop).
4. Combine the dried ingredients raw.
5. Mix through the butter / sweetener mix and dried fruit or cacao nibs if using.
6. Press into a small slice tin lined with baking paper. Put it in the freezer for 10 minutes or until set.
7. Remove from the tin and cut into squares.
8. It is best to keep refrigerated or frozen.
TIP For a slice that holds together better, use butter or ghee (coconut oil melts more rapidly) and process the mixture so it is finer and sticks together better (my kids prefer this to a chunky consistency). Use the back of a big spoon that is a little wet to really compact it into the tray.
Variations Dairy free and vegan Use coconut oil or ghee instead of butter. If using coconut oil, you will just need to make sure it is kept cold or it will fall apart more quickly than the butter version.
Gluten free Use gluten free oats or try quinoa flakes (may just need to increase the quantity slightly).
Fructose free Use brown rice syrup instead of honey.
Kids fuss over the seeds or consistency? Either leave the ones they dislike out and increase those they do like, or grind them up. You can even process the whole mix of dried ingredients to make a finer, less chunky slice.
Remember…to pack into lunch boxes from frozen!